* FAQ    * Search * Login   * Register

Welcome to the [fP]Forums \o/

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
Delete all board cookies | The team

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Please help me help many others
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:10 pm 

Hey all, hope ya don't mind, but I need help. Well not me myself, but me trying to help others. My Youth Group and my church are participating in an event called The 30 Hour Famine to help raise awareness and money for those struggling with hunger daily. We are doing this February 24-26. Please read the following information I copy and pasted here.

[quote]
Global Hunger & Poverty

Each day, over 29,000 children die from preventable diseases such as malnutrition, malaria, diarrhea, and acute respiratory infections.

Malnutrition is associated with over half of those deaths.

More than 852 million people in the world are malnourished—799 million of them are from the developing world. More than 153 million of them are under the age of 5.

In developing countries, one child in 10 dies before his fifth birthday. By comparison, in the U.S. one child in 165 will die before turning five years old.

In the last 50 years, 400 million people worldwide have died from hunger and poor sanitation. That’s three times the number of people killed in all wars fought in the entire 20th century.

The wealthiest fifth of the world’s people consume an astonishing 86 percent of all goods and services, while the poorest fifth consume 1 percent.

Of the 6.39 billion people in today's world, 1.2 billion live on less than $1 per day.

Malnutrition can severely affect a child's intellectual development.

Children who have stunted growth due to malnutrition score significantly lower on math and language achievement tests than do well-nourished children.

Domestic Hunger & Poverty

36.3 million people – including 13 million children – live in households that experience hunger or the risk of hunger. This represents approximately one in ten households in the United States.

3.5 percent of U.S. households experience hunger. Some people in these households frequently skip meals or eat too little, sometimes going without food for a whole day. 9.6 million people, including 3 million children, live in these homes.

7.7 percent of U.S. households are at risk of hunger. Members of these households have lower quality diets or must resort to seeking emergency food because they cannot always afford the food they need. 26.6 million people – including 10.3 million children – live in these homes.
Preschool and school-aged children who experience severe hunger have higher levels of chronic illness, anxiety and depression, and behavior problems than children with no hunger, according to a recent study.

[b]The amount of funds raised by the United States 30 Hour Famine for 2004: $11.3 million, feeding and caring for 31,389 children.

In 2005, funds raised will help children in famine-ravaged nations such as Kenya, Sudan, Somalia and will help care for poor children in nations worldwide, including the United States.

[color=blue]This year’s 30 Hour Famine is themed “Fed Upâ€