[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[fP]Forum • View topic - How to avoid being mortared in Goldrush
Home IRC Forums About us Members Wars Downloads Links Shop Stats
* FAQ    * Search * Login   * Register

Welcome to the [fP]Forums \o/

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics
Delete all board cookies | The team

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: How to avoid being mortared in Goldrush
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm 

Hello,

Since this is rearing its head more and more often (and producing more and more angry reactions) I offer the following advice/observations.

But first, a few points to clarify (though mainly for people who don't use the forum):

1) Yes I can do other things
2) No I don't get bored
3) No I'm not cheating/using a mortar-cam/whatever else
4) Mortars don't need banning any more than self-healing Axis medics. Rather less so, in fact.
5) Of course it's within the server rules

OK...the advice...

Initial spawn:

This is a 'capturable' spawn so Allies can attack any way they choose. The safest areas for Axis to stand while they hold the tank are a) by the command post b) under the big arch c) between the tank and the wall. Essentially, those are the hardest places to hit in the immediate spawn area.

Most vulnerable areas are basically anywhere with no roof above you and no wall next to you. Muahahahaha.

Ensure that you gib any Allied players in these areas - I've already asked for clues on your spawn time and we will get it eventually, but this will delay it and increase your chances of staying alive.

"Zey have stolen ze tank!" <- As soon as you hear this, don't be behind the tank. A shell is about to land there.

Second Axis Spawn - tank outside courtyard:

This is where people experience the most frustration. I'm not going to give everything away, but I've noticed there are several players who I very rarely 'get' after Allies have grabbed the tank (bob and Binary being the 2 most obvious).

Point being that death by mortar is by no means inevitable, even if we have your spawn times (and we do...)

OK, so, we have your spawn times. There are a couple of considerations to make:

Do Allies have the Command Post (should be 'yes')?
How many Heavy Weapons stars do I have (should be 1 or 2 if it's the first time in the rotation; 4 if not)?

If Allies have the CP and I have 3 or more stars, you can expect 3 shells around your spawn exits. Once they've landed, that's it for 30 seconds. If I have 2 stars or fewer, there will only be 2 shells.

In other words - don't just blindly wander out of spawn and then get uppity with me when you get mortared :D

Second Axis Spawn - bank doors opened:

This is where the fun starts for me. Generally speaking, I'll be up to 3 stars by now, but I'll be much less interested in the main Axis spawn exit. The only time this changes is if I feel you're pushing us back too far. In this case, I'll concentrate on that exit to slow down your advance to us. Because, y'know, leave me alone.

Under normal circumstances, the shells will now be less concentrated and more spread over several distinct targets. I'm also much less interested in spawn times at this point. But they will come more frequently.

The targets are:

Box-room exit archway
Large opening directly behind the bank
Main bank entrance
Archway/Axis MG/Generally 'behind the truck'
The space directly behind the above

The purpose of this is to try and 'clear ze path' into the bank for my Allied brethren. If we can get you all cowering in there, we're just a few rifle nades and a panzer away from re-claiming our gold. Or, even if you all want to hang around outside and let me kill you, even better.

General hints:

I usually wait for at least 12 players on Axis before mortaring

If I'm self killing a lot, no one is feeding me ammo. You're MUCH safer in these circumstances. In other words, if you have to choose between killing an engy or a f ops on the bridge, kill the engy. That way the f ops won't be passing me to give me more ammo after respawn.

You can distract me with engaging conversation...maybe you can say something near spawn time...make it interesting though.

I really don't mind it when axis come after me. Just one less defending the gold.

Probably forgotten loads but I'll add to if and when I need to.

Quack.

Post subject: Re: How to avoid being mortared in Goldrush
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm 

Its a reason why it removed from competittion setting, gets to hard to defend if u keep getting slammered with the mortar :P
I dont mind the mortar except when it hits me randomly :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 pm 

Kinda missed the point, Duck! was trying to make, which was exactly the opposite and i agree, it is very simple to avoid getting mortared if you know what to watch for and to consider.

Nice post there Duck! From your mouth (fingers) to everyone's ears (eyes).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:18 pm 

I bet Bob's was spamming you with PM, Duckie :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 pm 

i just like like fragging you with a r nade or panzar when your perched on your fence tbh :D
ive allways got different names when i play but you probley know its me most of the time Duck ;)

cokadodle dooo (Y)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 am 

Yes indeed, Binary.

It was just that once, Mike, but it remains amusing :)

Rooster, you're welcome to waste your panzer on me any time :D

edit: hang on...I joined the forum before any of you? Crivens...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:26 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:53 am 

Location: lisbon-portugal-europe-world-solar system-milky way-universe
I hate those mortar shells,does't give any chance to get back and kill you first like other heavy weapons unless you have a team that likes to defend on the enemy turf making you kill a lot of teammates too :D
And attacking is always the best defense you have because of the spawntimes, at least in the map rotation we got at demolition centre.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm 
Reigning Live! Golf Champion & Par 3 Champ

pants ftw :moo:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 pm 

Ehehehe I m one of those angry guys Duck :) Just kidding. Good game man and good info. Keep it coming ! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:00 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:13 pm 

Something of a shameless bump, this.

I've found it useful to refer people to this topic when they were getting frustrated/abusive about being mortared.

So, to repeat: the best way to avoid the shells is to mix up your exit choices and don't run straight out of spawn.

And to hide in the bank.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:35 am 
Par 3 Chump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:17 pm 

Why, I oughta... ^$!%*&