Home IRC Forums About us Members Wars Downloads Links Shop Stats
* FAQ    * Search * Login   * Register

Welcome to the [fP]Forums \o/

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics
Delete all board cookies | The team

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What trickjumps are allowed?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:27 pm 

Binary said that there's nothing wrong with trickjumps but it's illegal to abuse bugs. Well, it's really confusing since strafe-jumping itself is a bug actually but it's generally accepted behaviour now. Many of the trickjumps in maps were never intented by devs either. We're still playing a half-finished game that was released as free. Hardly any new map patches. If they kept supporting ET and actually released it as a finisted product - i'm sure they'd release patches and remove some of the trickjumps we love. This happens with so many games.

It's clear to me that fueldump roof jump is not allowed. I assume same goes for anything that involves part of your body going through wall. So, what about these then?

- 1st axis flag spawn at oasis. I slide my body backwards to the wall to get on top of the roof faster, once allies capture it that is.
- Train hook slide jump in railgun.
- Palm trees in goldrush. No need to explain here, you've seen me doing this almost everytime we play gr.
- Totems in oasis.
- Phone masts in railgun.
- Medic revive boost jump.
- 2 people open wall boost jump.

I can come up with more of these, but what about trickjumps that devs tried to block? Like radar roof crouching?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What trickjumps are allowed?
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 pm 

What about rocks and barrels? You can get inside them. One regular admin has seen me getting inside them and actually cheered me on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm 

I am always trick jumping and have never been 'told off' but I don't go for the objective when doing so its just for fun/to surprise the enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:16 pm 

Bump 4 fun. 8)

I got my PC but still waiting for my new monitor. Right now trying out new games and also decided to try ET: Legacy. Too bad server(s) are empty and it's still a buggy mess, but slowly getting there. I wrote an email about ET: Legacy future map changes. If anyone wants to see it - pm me. Not gonna paste it here. It is very much related to this topic but just too much text.

Still gonna share this funny quote i found while looking up history of QW/Q3 engine.

John Carmack June 3rd, 1999

Whee! Lots of hate mail from strafe-jupers!

Some reasonable messages have convinced me that a single immediate jump after landing may be important to gameplay. I'll experiment with it.

Strafe jumping is an exploitable bug. Just because people have practiced hard to allow themselves to take advantage of it does not justify it's existance. When I tried fixing the code so that it just didn't work, I thought it changed the normal running movement in an unfortunate way.

In the absense of powerups or level features (wind tunnels, jump pads, etc), the game characters are supposed to be badasses with big guns. Arnold Schwartzenegger and Sigourney Weaver don't get down a hallway by hopping like a bunny rabbit.

This is personal preference, but when I play online, I enjoy it more when people are running around dodging, rather than hopping.

My personal preference just counts a lot. :-)

Profile E-mail