[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[fP]Forum • View topic - Revive RtCW!
Home IRC Forums About us Members Wars Downloads Links Shop Stats
* FAQ    * Search * Login   * Register

Welcome to the [fP]Forums \o/

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
Delete all board cookies | The team

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Revive RtCW!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:54 am 

Some [fP] have joined the campaign for free release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I know that some of you no longer play it, but if not for this game [fP] would not exist, and I personally feel the need to support this and hope some of you wil come along with me :)

We hope that with support from this great community, we can persuade ID Softare to release RtCW free to the public.

Why should they even consider this?

We believe that they could greatly increase future sales by the attention and new customers they would gain by this. In addition to RtCW2 they could use this as an advertising campaign for whatever brilliant things they are coming up with. This could lead to a whole new generation coming to RtCw, reviving the game, and giving us who have paid for our copies and want to continue playing more people and servers to play on.

We would appreciate input and support on quakenet @ #revive.rtcw

Let me know your thoughts plz :)

Last edited by [fP]Kat* on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:13 am 

yeah if it wasnt for RTCW [fP] would be there to day... well i play it some time and i think it a hell of a great game and ill be happy to know the it would be free, so that more ppl can see what a great game it is..

ill be join the channel and if any one ever wants to go play sure im up for it to LOVE THE GAME!!! \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

One Shot One Kill...

You Have Just Been Slayed By..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 am 

I bought and paid for it the day it was released so I don't really care. I do wish that people would stop spamming it in IRC though :z

Life is a big, blue banana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:17 am 

this isnt about getting rtcw for ppl who are too cheap to buy it. i of course have my own copy. its about attempting to bring players back to this game. whether you paid for it or not, before long there will be none left to play with...

as for the spammin: i no i no :*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:40 pm 

They're still making money from it (albeit a small amount) so practically a no-go. I can only see them releasing it as abandonware when #2 comes out to promote it (like hidden and dangerous).

This is ID we're talking about though - the original Doom is still shareware ($$) :*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 pm 

well, we know they cant be making much at all on it anymore...i really think there are advantages for them as well in this...not saying they are gonna go for it but i think its worth a shot...

site will be up with more info soon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 pm 

Yeah, just using it as an example of ID's stingyness. They haven't released it as freeware. So RtCW a game merely 3/4 years old? Hmm.

Abandonware games generally only come about when they're totally unstocked from shops, wolfy ain't. I know two people who have bought it recently :S Not trying to piss on anyone's parade but the only revival you're gonna get is from people already owning the game methinks :*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:56 pm 

I think ID is one of the least stingy game companies around. You seem to have missed my point about doom - they released all the bits they could but some legal issue meant that they could not "officially" release the data. It is very easy to get though. As well as that they allowed their engine to be released for free more or less with ET. I don't think RTCW-mp and ET are that different personally.

All that aside - I am an ardent ID fan because they also make official Linux clients for their games too.

EDIT:

The data files are also free now (and have been for a long time - I just hadn't noticed) so most of this is moot really 8(7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 pm 

BUMP

editBUMPety <--- beat ya

HeHe always wanted to say that but Pants always got there befor me!! but not this time no no... BUMP!!! :P

Nooo u didnt!! :P

One Shot One Kill...

Last edited by Slayoo0 on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:46 am 

Aha.. not so stingy as I thought then.. but it is twelve years old.. :P

To cut a long, tedius post short: I'll personally come and shake everyone of your hands if they release RtCW, one of their products still generating income, for free, because a small group of people want it. I'll even fluffle you. Then buy you a drink. Two drinks.

* wonders off to gather twenty people to demand Quake III for free

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:40 am 

One Shot One Kill...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:27 am 

Hi folks

sorry to be a doomsayer - but Free release of RTCW is never going to be possible.

What they are asking is for ID to breach its license contracts with Activision, GrayMatter and Distribution.

The exchange of value in "Intellectual Property Rights"(IPR) and where they sit in the value chain will not change ... unless Revive RTCW is asking the distributors to buy the game through license and swallow the cost by giving it away free.

hmmmm - I dont think so :/

Normally Exchange contracts containing IPR normally last for as long as the Patent does.... that is about 25 years in the USA

The only question outstanding, therefore, is "WHY ?" anyone would expect something, especially work of this quality, for free. :S

I'm waiting for RTCW 2 - which will most defiinitely revive RTCW -- which will have, no doubt, similar contracts and probably will cost ( including inflationary calculations) about £45

thx :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:30 pm 

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 am 
Not from earth